Friday, December 10, 2010

Baby heart

Today, Allen and I got to hear perhaps the best sound in the entire world, that of our little baby's heart beating. I never imagined the impact it would have on me but wow, it's the most amazing feeling in the world. 

My doctor's appointment didn't start off good. I woke up feeling not so hot so I ended up not going into work in the morning. Allen fixed me something to eat and rubbed my neck to see if that would help my tension headache any. Then an hour before my appointment, I drank the wonderful orange glucose drink. I drank it slowly but surely. And within the first few sips, I threw it up. I got really worried but I ended up finishing the whole drink and I made it to the doctor's office and finished the test and I passed! No diabetes for me, not yet anyhow! That was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. While in the bathroom doing my usual urine test, I noticed I had a giant lump in my hair, where I didn't fix my ponytail right. So I tried to fix it and messed it up worse. So I ended up looking about as bad as I felt. 

Finally, we got to to the doctor's little room and Allen and I sat talking about giving birth and how I seriously hoped I didn't have a gazillion hour labor. Then the doctor arrived. He asked me how I was, I told me I had been really sick and he said that it should be going away soon. Then he told me to lay back and he put this thing on me and all of a sudden, I heard all these weird noises. The doctor said it was the heartbeat but then it disappeared. I didn't even hear it so I started freaking out, thinking it was over and I had missed the whole thing. Allen had heard it and that upset me even more. How can I be so stupid to miss it?!?! But the doctor said the baby had moved and so he started looking again and he found it and this time, I heard it just as plain as day. It was nice and loud and it was the most beautiful sound ever. It sounded like a healthy, grown up heart! 

That's about all that happened today but it was certainly a memorable appointment and it's one I know we'll never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment