Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Scholarship success

So, this past weekend was our annual yard sale for Jennifer's scholarship. We do two fundraisers every year to raise money for the scholarship. One is a yard sale and the other is a chicken sale. I used to handle all the fundraisers and over time, Jennifer's mom has stepped up and decided to handle the yard sale. I am definitely ok with that.

Anyway, I have been sick the past week and on Saturday, I felt like crap and Allen, who is a major helper during these things, was also sick. So he didn't go at all. And I ended up going back and forth, just checking on things but I wasn't able to help much.

The yard sale was still a success though! We made over $4,000!! FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!! From a stinking yard sale!! Who would have thought.

I am so excited about how this scholarship has evolved. Things are really going well and I am just so overwhelmed with emotions about the whole thing. People have been so generous and giving. And as for the ECU folks who thought I was crazy when I told them that I was going to fund raise and make this happen, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA who's laughing now?!?!

As the day ended on Saturday, I met up with the crew as they were counting the money. When they told me the total, I thought I was going to pass out. I became a little emotional too, partly because of the overwhelming feeling that this scholarship was really happening and partly because Jeff was there with his new wife and baby. I don't talk to Jeff and I do my best to stay away from him. I've written about him in this blog before and I won't do it again but it was really hard to see him with a baby. It should have been Jennifer's baby. And Jennifer and I should be planning baby play dates. But instead, I'm raising money so people won't forget my best friend.

Anway, for the record, Jeff has done very little to help us with our fund raising efforts. He shows up at each event, just long enough to make me all angry and stuff, and then he leaves. But, also for the record, I LOVE Jeff's parents. And so did Jennifer. His parents have been wonderful and they have given A LOT of money for this scholarship.

So, back to happy successful things, Jennifer's scholarship is now at around $18,000. We've raised $18,000 in three years by having yard sales and chicken sales! Unbelievable! We have $7,000 more to go and two years to do it. I know we'll do it and I can't wait for the day someone receives a Jennifer Ragland Evans Music Scholarship.

Secretly, I want to do more than $25,000 but we'll see what happens. I think it would be fun to really shock the folks at ECU and raise more than what is required!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment