Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions and 2009

Resolutions. Millions of Americans make them and millions of Americans break them, including me. Each year, I break just about every resolution I make. It was so bad, I finally decided not to make anymore resolutions. But of course, as 2008 came to an end, I began making resolutions. By New Year's Eve, I had sat down and actually written them out. And by New Year's Day, they were official, typed on my computer and in my Blackberry to remind me that this year, I was serious. Which leads me to this blog.

I had 6 resolutions this year, some of which I probably would not keep but others that I felt pretty confident about. This week, I sat down and thought about what I really wanted in life. That led me to my seventh, and final, resolution. I wanted to write more. Nothing specific although a nice book or short story would be nice but my main goal was just to get back into writing.

I write for a living but it's not the same. I am a journalist and although I enjoy what I do and am able to make a living writing, it's not my ultimate goal. I've let myself believe I was content in what I was doing and didn't need to go any further with my writing. The reality is there's still something missing. So this year, I'm getting it back.

I'm not new to blogging. I've had to create blogs for some classes I took a few years ago at UNC. It took me a while to get the concept and eventually I deleted those blogs. However, since blogging seems to be a good path for me to get some writing done, here I am. I have no goals. Some writers set goals for each day or for the year. They want to get so many words down in a day. I just want to write and I'll try to write as much as I can but I have no set word limits, at least not yet.

So, this is the start of my blog and hopefully, the start of some new things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment