Thursday, April 28, 2011

Animals

I've always loved animals, always. I've loved them since I was a little kid and I tried to take in and help every stray that crossed my path. Unfortunately, Allen is the same way. That's why we have 5 cats right now. Every single one of those cats were "saved." Abby and Sheba weren't really rescues. They were a decision that we made together but the cats, well they just somehow found their way into our homes and our hearts.

Four of those five cats live inside my house. Do we regret having 5 cats? YES, we do. But would I get rid of them? NO, I wouldn't. As much as I want to ring their necks at times, I love them and they are my babies, especially Domino. But I can promise you, if Allen and I have a animal loving little boy who tries to save every animal that crosses his path, we're going to have to put our foot down. (FYI, I started laughing as I typed this because I know it's not true) Seriously though, once these cats are gone, Allen has forbid us from having anymore inside cats. I think I can talk him into at least one. I mean, I'll soon have some leverage in a little boy named Corbin and I plan to use Corbin to not only make sure one day we can have another inside cat but also to make sure I get the little pig I've always wanted. But I agree, we will never, ever, ever have four inside cats ever again.

Anyway, back to the animals. I've always wanted to get involved in animal rescue, like in a group. When I got my two girls, who are American Pit Bull Terriers, aka pit bulls, I decided that my calling was to rescue pits. I was just like everyone else in the world. I thought pits were bad dogs. But now that I have two, I can't imagine owning any other breed of dog. Unfortunately, people don't like pit bulls. I've always wondered how I could start a pit bull rescue. I decided once Allen got his job situation straightened out, that would be the time.

God puts everyone on this earth for a reason. He gives everyone a talent and a calling. Mine is writing and animals.

Last year, the newspaper I work at challenged someone to start an animal rescue group to work with our shelter here. Well someone stepped up and did it! And, somehow, through it all, I became the Vice President of the group. One of our first rescues was a black pit bull puppy. His picture tore at my soul and I convinced the group to pull him. Allen and I trained him and worked with him and turned him into a well behaved wonderful dog. We loved him and after just a few months, we found him a wonderful home. Today, he is super happy and super big. And it feels so good to see him out and about with his new owner, all smiling and happy. This dog was going to be killed on the day we rescued him. But look at him now!

Unfortunately, not long after, I had to resign from the group because of the pregnancy. I was so sick at first and I just didn't feel I could handle the stress of helping get a brand new thing off the ground. It was a hard decision but I still feel like it was the best one for me at the time. I stay in touch and still want to help the group but for now, I needed to take a back row seat.

It's been so hard though. I see pit bulls come through the animal shelter every week. Some make it out and some don't. Thank God this group at least is not discriminatory against pit bulls like so many other rescues. They try to save the pits too. But pits are hard to find homes for.

It breaks my heart to know I can't do anything right now, that all some dogs need is a temporary home until a good home can be found and right now, I just can't provide that. And when no one steps up to provide that temporary home, they get put down.

And now, with a baby on the way, I'm not sure when I'll be able to rescue again. Corbin is my number one priority and though I love pit bulls, I am not willing to bring strange dogs of any breed into my home with a newborn, and especially not a pit bull. And it's not because I think they are mean or evil but generally pits going into shelters are there because they are strays or were turned in, which means there is no telling what type of life they had. I can't take a chance of getting a hold of a dog with issues. So if I am to foster any dog at all, it would have to be a puppy until Corbin was old enough to understand. I just can't take a chance. I love pit bulls and I do have knowledge and experience with them but I don't feel confident I am that experienced to rehabilitate one that has issues.

I hope Corbin loves animals as we do and I'm sure he will. I hope he can develop the same passion and love for pits as we have. I know growing up with Abby and Sheba he'll probably never understand why people DON'T like them.

It hurts to see so many animals suffer and know that I can't do anything to help them for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment