Thursday, September 22, 2011

Veterans

I am fortunate that I have a job that, for the most part, I love.

My job allows me to do a lot of things I know I wouldn't normally do. I get to attend lots of different events. One event I cover on a regular basis is a flag-raising ceremony for deceased veterans. It's held every month and a new veteran is honored each time. It's really a great thing and I am thankful I get to go to these events and not only take pictures and do stories, but to pay my respects to these veterans.

Sometimes, we forget about the sacrifices these men and women made for us. And each month, I get reminded. I like that.

The last service that was held, I brought Allen and Corbin. I thought Allen would enjoy seeing it. When we left, Allen made a comment about how he regrets not going into the military. That's something he wanted to do when he was younger.

Allen and Jeff, his best friend growing up, planned to enter the military together. I'm not sure what happened. Jeff did go into the military but I think Allen was unable to because of his heart problems. Of course now, Allen's heart is good as new but back then, it wasn't so good.

I must admit, I'm a little glad Allen didn't end up in the military. Being a military spouse has got to be one of the hardest things ever. I'm not sure I could do it. I think I'd go insane. These men and women make such huge sacrifices to do what they do. I think I'm too selfish to give up my husband like that.

I told Allen that it wasn't too late to go into the military but I admit, I was relieved when he said it was too late because he had a family now. But there are a ton of people who have families that enter the military each and everyday.

I can't imagine Allen not being here for Corbin's birth, not being here to see his first few months of life but there are men, and women, who do it everyday. I admire these folks a lot! And I'm glad I can be a part of honoring some of the older veterans who gave up so much to serve our country. I'm also glad I can put each service into words to share with the rest of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment