Thursday, December 8, 2011

I am woman, hear me roar.

So maybe I'm not cut out for this whole wife and mother thing after all? I mean, it's a pretty stressful job and lately, I feel like I really suck at it.

I come home at night with Corbin and Allen is working. I try to play with him, feed him, bathe him and get him to bed and then I have to get the house clean. In between all that, I'm trying to pay some attention to my dogs. And this is after working all day long. Most of the time, the house doesn't get clean. Many times, I have to skip bathe time with Corbin because I run out of time and energy. So in the end, most of the stuff that needs to get done doesn't get done and I'm left with an even longer list for the next day. It's never ending and in the end, I'm not really getting to spend quality time with Corbin.

I've been super stressed lately. I guess I'm nervous about our first Christmas with Corbin. I'm nervous we'll forget something, I'm nervous the in-laws will create drama and ruin our first Christmas just like they've ruined everything else special that's happened in our lives (including the birth of Corbin).

And now, to add to the craziness, I have a stinking puppy in my house. My dad's dog died. It was unexpected and my dad was really bummed about it. It takes a lot to make him cry and that dog dying on him made him cry. So I set out to convince him to get another dog, a different breed of dog. I must have been crazy when I found this cute little lab mix puppy as I was interviewing a local vet here because I worked hard to convince my dad that this dog was "the one." She was sweet, she was a lab, she was a rescue. I even offered to keep her for a few weeks until my dad's new house was finished and so Allen and I could help get her trained. My dad didn't really want a puppy. He wanted a grown dog but I convinced him that a puppy could grow up with Corbin, would be easier to socialize with my dogs, etc, etc. So when my dad came to look at the puppy, he decided that I was right and got him...that day! And that day, I took the dog home. I was by myself that night. So I had a baby, a puppy and two six-year-old pit bulls to deal with!

My dogs are pretty laid back. They love kids, love people, love other animals. Now, one of my girls doesn't like other animals. She will behave herself and deal with them but she doesn't like to be messed with. So when I brought the puppy in, she ran up to it, wagging her tail, said hello and then was like, "ok I've met you, now leave me alone." But Abby, Abby is the perfect dog. She truly loves everything. She is the reason our foster puppy did so well. She helped us train him and played with him and took him under her wing. She's sort of done the same with this puppy but you can tell she's not happy about it. She's got this look that is so pitiful, like "you already brought a baby home, do we really need a puppy?"

But, I got myself into this mess. And in the end, it'll be worth it. My dad will have a semi-trained dog and he will have a friend to come home to at night. This puppy is just temporary. And when she leaves, I'll just go back to trying to figure out how to be a wife, mother and career person without going insane. They say God built women to handle all this stuff but really?

No comments:

Post a Comment