Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Education

So, before Corbin was even born, I started thinking about his education.

Education is important to me. I want him to have the very best education for several reasons but the top two are: 1) I want Corbin to be able to do and be anything he wants to be in life and I don't want his education to hinder that. And 2) Corbin will be the one to pick my nursing home and take care of me so I need him to have a good education so that he can pick the best nursing home and take proper care of his old mother.

I went to public schools. I have no qualms about it. I am properly educated...well sort of.

I went to rural public schools. Rural as in, out in the middle of nowhere, or in really tiny towns. I felt like I received a good education, until I went off to college and got into some of my classes and went "huh?" That's when I realized I missed out on some things. I'm not downing rural public schools. They did a good job with what they had. But I want more for Corbin.

I also have concerns about my job. I know I'm being slightly paranoid but I write about the local school board. And though the school board is not one I cover on a regular basis, that could change. And what we write about is not always happy stuff. I don't want there to ever be a chance where school folks could take out my articles on Corbin.

So I began to look at private schools. I know nothing about private schools. My cousin went to one and I knew they were expensive but that's it. I didn't, however, realize how expensive. But, in my tiny little brain, I became determined to find out about private schools.

I started researching them and found one that I really liked. I had visited it before, in my role as a reporter and I was impressed then. We get press releases all the time from this school. But when I went to their website I couldn't find tuition rates. I needed to know the cost so I could sit down and get a realistic idea of whether or not this could even happen.

I found tuition rates of other schools, however, and thought this particular school couldn't be much different.

I was wrong.

I finally got my hands on the rates and discovered why there tuitions rates are so hard to come by. They are super expensive.

I mean the rates are comparable to some colleges.

But I was still determined. Can you really put a pricetag on your child's education? Well, yes, you can actually.

I discussed it with Allen and I fully expected him to, after he passed out from learning the rates, to say heck no, we aren't spending that kind of money on a private school. But, instead, he was silent for a moment and then said, well I think it would be one of the best investments we could make.

Of course, this made the wheels start turning in my head. How in heck are we going to afford private school? And, this is where we are now. I'm going over the numbers, going over our paychecks and the only solution I can come up with is that I need to become a prostitute or drug dealer.

I've gotten Corbin's piggy bank out and started putting money in it like crazy. A dollar here, a dollar there. I put a bunch of change in there (but only the silver stuff). At last count, I had around $65 in there. So that should cover about 5 minutes of Corbin's private school career.

I have a long ways to go. But I've got tons of ideas to make this happen and they don't require me doing illegal stuff. But they do require me never eating out, buying clothes, renting movies or doing anything remotely fun ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment