Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mama Ruth visit

This past weekend, Corbin and I made the 45-mile or so trek to Pitt County. The trek itself is not that big of a deal because we make the trek quite often and over the past month, we've made it at least once a week. The big deal is that I had Corbin all to myself for a whole weekend. Normally, this wouldn't freak me out. But on the day before we left, Corbin began crawling and crawling means a lot of things. It means never being able to keep my eyes of off the boy and it means lots of boo-boos.

I enjoyed the weekend but it was stressful! Corbin was all over the place and everytime I told him "no" he would scream and it would break my heart.

But the bigger picture here is we got to spend the whole weekend with my grandma.

Mama Ruth has been having some troubles lately. Her mental health has not been too good the last few weeks. Since my uncle died, Mama Ruth has been experiencing what the doctors call delirium without demensia. The condition is brought on by stress or anxiety. Obviously, losing two brothers and a sister-in-law within a year or so of one another can be stressful. But the losses have scared her because she knows that one day, she too, will die. So anyway, Mama Ruth began talking to people that weren't there and doing strange things. It freaked us out and she saw a doctor and that's when we found out about everything.

Mama Ruth seems to thrive with people around, especially children. She seems more like herself. I have noticed that when Corbin is around, she is so happy. She gets on the floor and crawls around with him and she just seems happy. When we're not around, or when she is alone, she stays in bed all day long. That is obviously not good for her. So the family is trying hard to keep her surrounded by people, especially kids, as often as possible.

We had a good visit. Mama Ruth seemed to enjoy herself and Corbin seemed to enjoy climbing all over everything and trying to mess with everything but his toys. I, on the other hand, about went crazy. This crawling thing is no fun! But I suppose it'll just take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment