Friday, February 1, 2013

Appendicitis

So, just as we were getting settled into our new life with two kids, we had another round of fun to deal with.

We were packing up and getting ready to go to Bethel when I started to have some pains in my right side. The pains would move into my stomach and back area and started off as just minor pains. I just assumed I was having some pains from my c-section because I had been overdoing it a bit. As we drove to Bethel, the pain increased and after we got to Bethel, we ate dinner and Allen took Corbin to his parents house for a visit. He, of course, left his phone at my dads. I started to hurt really bad and started to wonder if I had hurt myself. My grandmother had come over so I gave Devin to her and I tried to walk around some to see if that would help. Then I'd sit down and try it again. The pain got worse and worse as time went on. Devin, of course, started to become irritable and I had to deal with him while also trying to ignore the pain.

Eventually, I let my grandma have Devin back and I went and laid down. I tried to call Allen to tell him something was wrong but he didn't have his phone. My aunt came over later and she helped with Devin so I was able to go and lay down some more. The pain got so bad, I started throwing up. I finally got up with Allen by texting his mom. By the time Allen came back, I was in so much pain, I was in tears. I took a super hot bath and threw up again and then laid down. Allen finally decided I was going to the hospital and I, being the stubborn person I am, refused.

Allen's sister is a CNA and he asked her to come look at me. When she came over she said I could have busted a stitch around my uterus area. OR, she said, it could be my appendix. Either way, I needed to go to the hospital to be looked at. I refused again but then Allen said if it was my appendix, it could rupture and I could die. So okay, I finally decided I'd go to the hospital. But I wasn't happy about it.

Because we were in Bethel, I went to Greenville. But my dad had to take me because we couldn't leave Devin. With his issues, we aren't really comfortable leaving him alone with people yet. There are just way too many things going on with him so Allen had to stay home with him, which sucked. But, my dad went and that was okay too. My aunt and grandma stayed with Allen to help him.

It was around 11 p.m. by the time we got to the hospital. The pain pill was finally kicking in and I wasn't hurting quite as bad. I was fully prepared for the doctors to make me feel like an idiot and tell me nothing was wrong and send me home.

Instead, they did a million tests on me, including a CT Scan. The next morning, I was informed that I had an appendicitis and the surgery team was preparing to take me back to take out my appendix. I was not thrilled.

So, after the surgery team met, I was told that because of my c-section, my woman parts inside may still be swollen some and may pose a problem for the surgery. Instead of doing the easy, laproscopic surgery, where they just poke little holes in my belly, they may have to actually cut me open. But, they wouldn't know until they cut the first little hole and stuck the camera in and looked. Of course, they also went over all the risks associated with surgery, which always terrifies a person. I was scared enough.

You see, I've never been to the hospital unless it involved a baby. SO this was a new adventure for me and I did not like it.

I cried the whole time I was being wheeled back to the prep room. Allen wasn't there, my dad had left and I felt so alone. I cried pretty much until I crawled on the operating table. That's the last thing I remember.

After that, I was apparently drugged up and knocked out. I woke up in a room with a nurse standing over me. My other aunt was sitting next to me. I don't remember much about any of the surgery. When I woke up again, Allen and Devin were there. That, of course, really woke up. I ate some chicken broth, crackers and drank something and the nurse told me if I could get up and go to the bathroom and walk around, I could go home. So that is exactly what I did. I was on my way back to Bethel just a few hours after surgery.

I was really, really sore for a few days. But it's been two weeks and aside from the occasion tenderness around the four holes/incisions in my belly, I feel pretty dag-on good, especially considering I've had two surgeries on my stomach area within a month.

I think having kids around speeds up recovery times. I know for me it did and although I would have loved to have laid around and rested, I didn't get to do a lot of that. Instead, I chased around a 19 month old and comforted a screaming newborn. And I also comforted my husband, who was about to have a mental breakdown with everything going.

I'm glad things are somewhat back to normal now. I've went to all my final checkups and all the doctor's said I'm doing A-Okay and for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment