Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's a boy?

It's hard to believe it's already Sunday. Saturday's seem to go by too fast.

I'm at the hospital right now sitting with Uncle Dean. He's sleeping, or trying to. I'm not really good at this hospital thing. I never know what to do or say to him. I can't understand him and I know it's frustrating for him. It's frustrating for me too and I'm sure for everyone else who is here. It's hard to see him like this. I hope that he soon gets well.

These long hours sitting here is also hard because I am hungry like every 5 minutes and I have to go hours without eating when I'm here. Uncle Dean has a feeding tube in and I don't feel right eating good food in front of him so I don't eat. Last Sunday when I was here, I went so long without eating, I got sick. This morning I ate a little something and hopefully I can sneak down to the cafeteria when Allen gets here and get a little something to tide me over. This eating every hour or so is probably the hardest part to adjust to as far being pregnant goes. I'm used to eating like 2 meals a day, with very rarely anything in between so having to eat little things every few hours is hard to manage.

Last night, Allen worked some more on the baby's room. We put up a wall in what will be our living room to expand the baby room out some but mostly, to change the way you enter the room. We're closing off the current door so both of our bedrooms will be accessed via the hall, so you'll walk into the hall and be able to go to the guest bathroom and then the baby room and guest room. To do that, we had to move the wall out in the baby room. Allen has the braces up for the new wall, it just needs sheetrock. Last night he worked on tearing down the old wall. There's a fireplace in the wall so that should be fun to take down. Allen thinks he'll be able to get the baby's room and the new living room completely finished by the end of the year. The only thing the baby room will need is some paint but we have to wait until we know what we are having before we decorate and paint.

Speaking of the gender of the baby, last night Allen predicted that we're having a boy. It's strange because he's been pretty convinced we'd have a girl. I don't know why but he just felt like we'd have a girl. There's this little trick he does to determine what you are having. He's done it to several pregnant women and has been right on all of them from what I understand. Allen has this weird thing where he takes a string and a sewing needle and puts it over your hand. You look at the way it moves and can tell what you are having. Okay, so some consider this some type of witchcraft but I call it magic because I don't believe in witchcraft. Allen has this weird gift with pregnant women. Even without the string, he can tell what they are having, once they start showing a little more. He's been right with that too. So the string trick said we're having a boy. I'm anxious to see if he's right. I'm not sure I really believe in his weird little trick even if it does work but it helps to pass the time and makes it exciting to think about what we're having.

I had mentally been preparing for a little girl so now I have to readjust my thinking. I'm just going to prepare for either and be happy with whatever it is. I really wanted a boy but when Allen beat it into my head that he swore we'd have a girl, I started thinking about a girl and was finally excited about having a little girl. Now I'm just confused. I'll be happy with either. I just want a healthy baby. Maybe we're having one of each?!? That would be pretty cool, even if it is scary!

A boy would be nice though because Allen has so much to teach a little boy. He's full of useless, scientific knowledge that only little boys would care about. I'm amazed sometimes at how smart Allen is and at how many things he could have done with his life had he only had a more supportive family. I know that our kid will definitely be supported in whatever he wants to do, whether it's sports, music, science or whatever. I told Allen if our little boy wanted to be a ballerina, we were going to let him be a ballerina. I don't think Allen liked that at all!!!

I'm not sure I have much to offer a little girl. I know a lot more about how to be a father than a mother. I can teach a boy how to play basketball but I can't put little bows in girl's hair!! I guess I'll learn though. I can only imagine that whatever we have, he/she will be beautiful and will hopefully be a perfect combination of both Allen and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment