Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Losing the one thing I had left

In September, we had a bbq chicken plate sale during Bethel's Unity Festival to raise money for Jennifer's Scholarship. We did really well that day. I had set a goal for that day and we exceeded it and I'm pretty happy about that.

But something happened that day that I have not been able to forget about. That morning, I lost my half of the best friend necklace that Jennifer and I had. I wear it on occasion but always tried to wear it during fundraisers for the scholarship. The Friday before the sale, Allen and I had decided to camp out in my grandma's back yard. That way, we could try camping with the dogs. Plus, we still had Nash then and we thought it would give him a good experience. So we slept outside in tents with 3 dogs. It was interesting.

Before bed, I took my necklace off and put it in Allen's van, in the cupholder. That next morning, we got up before dawn. I went into my grandmas to shower (yeah I cheated) and when I went to get my necklace, I lifted it up and my charm fell off. I don't know where it fell. We looked for a while but I had to get to Bethel to get ready for the sale. Allen convinced me that it had probably fallen in the van somewhere. We never found it.

I thought about it all day and if I wasn't so busy that day, I would have went to a corner and cried about it. But I didn't have time. I've thought about it ever since and wondered if I'd ever find it again.

I know it's just a necklace but it represented a lot more than that to me. It was all I had left of Jennifer and it represented our friendship. I gave Jennifer that either in middle school or high school. I had held onto it for that long. It's one of those things that can never be replaced.

Today, I'm back to thinking about it. I hope and I pray that someday it miraculously turns up. I know it won't. It probably is buried in my grandmother's yard somewhere. I know I'll never see it again, just like I'll never see Jennifer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment