Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmastime

I've had trouble truly getting in the holiday spirit the last few years. I don't know why. Maybe it's because the world has lost its mind and focuses so much on the shopping, present aspect of Christmas that it's overwhelming.

But Christmas is here and I'm trying my best to make the most of it and remember why we celebrate. Money is tight this year so we aren't doing a lot of presents. That has helped us focus on other things. Maybe its a blessing to be poor! 

We finally got a tree up, although it's not the tree I had hoped for but with all the remodeling going on right now, we just don't have room for a big tree. So, instead, Allen pulled down one of those tiny trees I sit outside on my front porch. We decorated it and put our presents under it and for me, it's just as perfect as a big one. We even put up some of our other Christmas decorations too. Seeing my house look a little more festive makes me happy.

It's hard to think that this is our last Christmas with just the two of us although Allen says technically, this is the baby's first Christmas. I'm not buying it though! I can't dress the baby up in little corny Christmas outfits so I don't count it being in my belly as being here for Christmas.

But next year, we'll have a 6-month old baby and though he/she won't understand what is even going on, I know for us, Christmas will be different. All holidays will be different. I was at a Ruritan Christmas thing recently and a girl sang a song called "A Baby Changes Everything." The song was about the baby Jesus but I listened closely to the lyrics and it's right, a baby does change everything. I'm ready for a change and I think a baby will be a good change for our little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment