Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Snow, 14 inches of it

I have mixed feelings about the snow. I love it yet I hate it.

I love it because it brings out the kid in me. I want to run around in it and play and fall down and make snow angels and snowmen and throw snowballs and Allen and my two girls. But, I hate it because I'm terrified to drive in it and of course, because of my job and the fact that I'm a grown up, I can't miss work because of snow.

They kept saying we'd get snow on Christmas Day this year and as exciting as that may have been to some, it freaked me out. We were going to be in Pitt County on Christmas Day and I didn't want our family time be cut short because of snow and I sure wasn't going to stay down there and drive home in the middle of a blizzard, so I kept listening to the news to see what the latest predictions were. Finally, they said it snow late Christmas Day, probably after dark. That gave me some comfort because we wouldn't have to rush quite as much.

This year, we spent Christmas Eve in Bethel. We always do Christmas Eve gift stuff with my dad and grandmother and since we go back down there on Christmas Day, we decided that this year, we'd spend the night. Gas is like $3.00 a gallon and it just made sense to save money and stay down there. So we did. We went to the Christmas Eve service at my church, then had dinner with my dad, grandma and aunt. Then we went back to my grandma's house and did our presents. Then, we went to Allen's parents and spent some time there. We went back to my grandma's around 1:30 a.m. and went to bed.

On Christmas Day, we got up and went back to Allen's parents and stayed until around 2 and then went back to my grandma's for the big family party. We stayed there until maybe 4:30 or so and then went back to Allen's parents. Yes, we drove back and forth a lot! But, our families only live like 5 minutes away from each other. Sometime between 8 and 9, a friend of mine texted me to tell me it had started snowing in Nash County and had been for maybe an hour or so. So that was our cue to pack it up and head home. We didn't hit any snow or rain until we got to Nash County but the roads were fine until we got to our road and even then, it was just a little slippery.

We had a good Christmas. I am thankful that this year, Allen's family was able to get along and there wasn't any drama. That's not always the case.

Once we got home, the snow fell and fell and fell until around 14 inches had fallen in our yard. It was a beautiful site and it makes me so happy to live in the country because it's so pretty when it snows.

We stayed home on Sunday and I had to miss work on Monday because of the roads, though I did work from home and got right much done there. And now, the weather is supposed to get up to 60 degrees so I assume the snow will soon be a memory.

But overall, this snow wasn't so bad. Allen drove me to work on Tuesday and it made me very thankful to know I have such a good husband. But in the future, I hope we can get our hands on a 4-wheel drive vehicle so maybe I can try my hand at driving in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment