Thursday, February 24, 2011

Financial Peace.....it's a coming!

Well Allen's first week at his new job has went well. He's been busy and I feel bad for him. On top of working full-time, he has to also finish up his part-time job at the newspaper. They wanted him to start immediately and since he wanted to at least give a two-weeks notice to the paper, they allowed him to take off the one morning a week he needs for that. And, for some reason, a bunch of side jobs have started coming in. It's great but poor Allen. Where were all these side jobs when he was sitting on his butt at home? So several days this week he has went to work, come home, had dinner and then went off to do a side job. But we need the extra money pretty badly so we'll take the jobs as long as Allen is willing to do them! I feel bad though because I have just my one job and really have no time for a second job. My schedule is way too demanding. Plus, this whole being pregnant thing is like a second job. It has really taken its toll on me. I stay tired and just always feel drained. Just having to cook and do housework on top of my job is about to kill me.

It's hard to believe we only have three more months. We're not ready for little Corbin yet. We still have to finish his room, save up so we can still eat during my maternity leave, buy a more family-friendly vehicle and all sorts of other stuff. We need another 5 years!!! But hopefully, we will get it all done.

Last week, Allen and I started listening to Dave Ramsey's financial peace university class. It's supposed to help teach you how to get out of debt and also save, which are two of the things Allen and I have been trying to do since we got married. The first lesson was like a slap in the face. It was one of those "duh" moments. Everything he said was just basic common sense. But nonetheless, we're on our way to financial peace, at least I hope so anyway!!! We'll have to change a lot of our ways of thinking and I'm expecting we'll have to trade in our really awesome, hip cell phones for some plain boring phones but if that's what we have to do to have a better financial life and be able to provide for our kid, then I guess I can go without updating my facebook status every second for a bit. We will hopefully do our second lesson tonight but we're still working on the homework from the first lesson. Our first assignment was to develop a budget and to work on saving $1,000. That's the first baby step of this whole process. It doesn't sound too hard but when you sit down and look at your budget, you wonder how the heck are you going to save $1,000 in like a month?!?!

Anyway, I'm hopeful that this whole thing will work out for us. It's going to take some time and sacrifices but we are so tired of being in debt for stupid stuff. It sure would be nice to have something break at our house or on our cars and actually have money in our savings to fix it! It would also be nice to get a paycheck and not have to put it towards stupid credit cards every month and instead be able to put it towards my family for having fun and saving for college and retirement and all that fun, happy stuff. It almost seems impossible but I believe if we truly dedicate ourselves to this thing and continue praying hard about it, it will happen. It's the least we can do to ensure our little baby has a bright future!

No comments:

Post a Comment