Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, OH MY

Well, last week, I experienced my first earthquake. Yep, an earthquake in NC. What a freak thing!

I was sitting at my desk getting ready to send the last few pages to press when my desk starting shaking. I just assumed it was the guys across the street working on the county's new buildings. But when the shaking got worse and I realized no one was across the street, I became alarmed. Then Allen called. "Did you feel that?" he practically yelled at me. That's when I started freaking out! "You felt that!" Then he explained it to me.

"We just had an earthquake!"

"A what?!"

And so it was. An earthquake

I'm thankful that I survived the earthquake because quite frankly as I was shaking, I forgot about all the gigantic, heavy press awards that are hanging above my head. Thank God they didn't fall on me! I wouldn't have been able to do my very first earthquake story!

But anyway,the earthquake was over just as soon as it started and we North Carolinians then turned our attention to Hurricane Irene. This hurricane wasn't supposed to be that big of a deal for Nash County. Turns out, it was. Trees fell everywhere. Downtown Nashville between CVS and what they call Cooley Corner looked horrible. Power lines down, trees down. Again, I thank God that we fared well through this. We only lost power for 7 hours and we had no giant trees or tree limbs fall, only small ones. Someone is definitely watching out for us! Corbin did good too. He slept until like 12 on the Saturday it came through and I'm not even sure he noticed anything different was going on. I guess he still got his warm milk so that's really all he cares about.

The cleanup for others won't be so easy. Rocky Mount was hit pretty hard. As was my hometown of Bethel. My dad lost a barn full of his old, collectible coins and other mess. And my grandma's house got a little damage. But no one was hurt and that's what is most important.

So Tuesday, an earthquake, Saturday, a hurricane and now Monday, tornadoes! This is the strangest weather ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment