Monday, September 12, 2011

Fasting

My new favorite author is Karen Kingsbury. I started reading her a few weeks ago when someone loaned me her book, 'Like Dandelion Dust.' I liked it so much, I decided to go to the library here and see if they carried her. They do! They had a whole shelf and a half full of her books. So I picked up two that were in a series. I read the first one last week and am reading the second one now. They are "A Time to Dance" and "A Time to Embrace."

I feel like I was led to these books. I'm glad I found this author and I'm glad her books have made such an impact on my thinking.

Allen and I are now mainly listening to a Christian radio station. Every now and then we flip it to another station but for the most part, we are leaving it on that station. It's amazing what surrounding yourself with positive, spiritual music can do for you. Now, reading Karen Kingsbury's books have also had an impact on me.

I've been trying to do better. Allen and I both have. We've been working hard to put God first in our marriage. He is, afterall, the reason we are still married. The positive music and now the Christian reading is really helping me to stay focused.

Anyway, last week, I had this urge to give up drinking anything except water for a whole week. Then meat was added onto that idea. It was like God was telling me that he wanted me to try this idea of fasting for a week. At first, I was like, "what?" and then I started to think, "That's not a bad idea."

First of all, I haven't been able to really hear God talk to me so I feel crazy that I'm thinking He told me this. Second, I'm a Free Will Baptist. We don't fast. I don't know anything about fasting. But I do 100% believe this is something I am supposed to be doing so I'm going for it.

There are several reasons I've decided to try it. The main reason is because I believe God wants me too and I am definitely not going to intentionally go against His wishes. But God has His reasons for everything.

Whether I'm happy, sad, mad or whatever emotion I am, I turn to two things; food and caffeine. It's not a good crutch to use but it's my thing. I am addicted to caffeine and I did good while I was pregnant but I was starting to do bad again. And food, well it's not only meat but nonetheless, I am pretty sure giving up all food for a week would be impossible for someone like me.

God is teaching me. He is trying to show me that when I'm feeling any of those emotions, I should turn to Him instead. Not food, not coffee or Mt. Dew or anything else. Him.

What a great lesson!

Today is Day 1 and I can tell you, it's going to be hard. I'm already thinking hard about a cup of coffee. But I am hopeful God will hold my hand through all of this and help me make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment