Sunday, January 8, 2012

Goodbye Uncle Ralph

Uncle Ralph died on Saturday. His battle didn't last long and honestly, I think we were all relieved in a way, because none of us wanted to see him suffer like Uncle Dean did. But still, we were all surprised that it happened so fast.

It was only a week ago that Uncle Ralph and my family were eating lunch together after church. My dad had talked to him the night before his struck. It's all surreal. Uncle Ralph is not here anymore.

I will remember Uncle Ralph fondly. I grew up hanging out at his little country store with my dad, playing video games, getting pennies from the older men to buy candy. I grew up being teased by Uncle Ralph. He gave a mean Indian burn. It wasn't that long ago I asked him if he could still do one of those and well, he showed me he could. It hurt just as bad as it did 20 years ago.

I'll always remember Uncle Ralph's sense of humor, his love of God, his church and his family. He was a special man, a man that all men should strive to emulate. I'm so proud to call myself a member of the Whitehurst family. What a legacy Uncle Ralph and Uncle Dean have left us.

But, nonetheless, it's still hard to say goodbye.

I hope as soon as Uncle Ralph took his last breath, he opened his eyes and found Aunt Louise standing there, smiling at him. I hope his daughter, June, was right beside her, with her arms wide open. If that's what Uncle Ralph saw as he left this world, I know he left a happy man.

May you rest in peace, Uncle Ralph.

No comments:

Post a Comment